So, in short: Mom (Gerry) has cancer. She has what is called a liposarcoma, a fatty-tissue tumor that is taking up a huge amount of space in her torso and displacing her internal organs. It is malignant and must come out.
We are travelling to the Cleveland Clinic next week so that she can have surgery to remove the tumor. It is a serious operation with potential long-term consequences for Mom’s life, as we don’t know yet if the surgeons will have to remove any organs along with the tumor. The schedule will be: surgery on Monday morning, radiation for two days (or so) and then another surgery to remove the radiation catheters. Total time in the hospital is looking like two weeks, followed by many weeks of at-home recovery.
Suffice it to say that we’re anxious and worried. But, we’re maintaining a positive attitude. (Some of us better than others: I’m positive that I’m scared shitless.) My grandparents are coming to Kentucky any day now to provide support. GrandBetty is a retired nurse and cancer survivor, and is used to riding herd on the Feamster clan, so her help will be essential in the weeks to come.
For all of you who would like to stay in the know: check this blog. I will update as much and as often as possible. Also, I’ve incorporated a Twitter feed, which you can view at the top of the page. Twitter is necessarily shorter, but quicker, and will allow me to give frequent updates from the waiting room during surgery. (We’ll find out quick if I can pace and type.)
Ground rules up front:
- I can’t spell. Sad but true. Deal.
- Stress reduces the efficiency of my internal filter. I’ll try, but if the occasional swear word slips by, or I come off less-than-appropriate, forgive me.
- I am many things, and a social crier is one of them. No crying. Consider this baseball.
- If you need more info than I write, or can’t wait for a post, you can call me. I will have my cell next week, although I don’t know what kind of coverage I’ll get.
- Just as this blog serves to pass information along from Mom to y’all, it also lets y’all leave messages for Mom (and the rest of us, too, I suppose.). I’ll pass on whatever comments etc. to Mom as appropriate. (I guess the rule here is that you shouldn’t post anything here you wouldn’t say to Mom herself.)
Feel free to post questions and comments below.